Sunday, May 27, 2012

school

i would say that not in a million years did i or scott ever dream that we would homeschool our children...and yet here we are, the end of kindergarten and ready to go again for grade one.  homeschooling, we have heard it all, the worry others have of our children being socialized, about them having a proper education, about a peer group.  and we have answered as best we can for the choices we have made.  at the end of the day, we feel so blessed by our decisions as i am sure others have by theirs.  ultimately my heart is that our children - all children have the privilege of an education, that they feel loved, safe and secure.  how this happens, what it looks like, what form it takes, doesn't concern me, only that it happens.



so here we stand.  one little girl ready for grade one as she finished up kindergarten last week.  she is so proud, as she should be.  she has worked hard, listened well and pushed through the tough bits.  she can hold a small conversation in french, add and subtract, tell time at the o'clock, half past and quarter after, count by 10's and 5's, she can tell you her continents and oceans, the countries inside of north america and the provinces across canada.  she has written two short stories and is reading bob books.  she should be proud, i am proud, her dad is proud.  and maybe too much so, maybe to a fault, but i can't help it.  my eyes are welling up with tears.  she has grown so much, learnt so much, been challenged and worked it through.  she is five and she seems almost enormous.  her heart is huge, it loves almost too deeply.  her character is growing.  and through it all she is still turdy...i reminded her the other day that we are all a little turdy, it's called sin, and we all have sin.  she smiled and agreed, then we noted that penny and i were the most turdy of the family. 
and sweet penny has been there, every step of the way, watching and following her sister.  she sits in on french class, can count to thirty, sing songs and share a greeting with you in french, she can count by 10's and is working on her 5's, she too knows her map work and makes a great teacher.  she is learning the sounds of her letters and can print her name.  the two of them together, all day long, they share many adventures...most of them for which they get into trouble for.
{art work at the kitchen table...crayons and paint}

{potion making with vinegar, food coloring and baking soda}


{making clouds rain}

{last day at learning center, science fair day}

{her buddies from school}


{her project on oil spills}

{mrs thain, her learning center teacher.  bless this ladies heart}

we have a good little family.  i am blessed.  i am honored to walk every day with these kids.  to love them so much my knees feel weak from emotion.  to teach them, educate them, shepard them and grow with them.  these are our days of learning.

4 comments:

Colin and Sarah said...

I am so blessed by your post!!!!!! I have been mulling homeschooling around in my head for the past month. Rupe doesn't start kindergarten for two more years, but I'm a stewer and am thinking about it already. :D your post has confirmed in me what I've been holding in my heart! I want to homeschool! what program are you using? I know I've got a while to think about it, but I want to start researching!

kelly ens said...

VERY special! And you should be proud of her accomplishments - she is doing VERY well (Taeya has NO idea about canada other than BC and Alberta...)

franks said...

Corinna. From the very start you have challenged me to look at life differently. You have taught me so much. You have helped shaped some very important perspectives that I now carry with me. And...here we go again. You are challenging all my presuppositions about homeschooling (and the people who do it!). Thank you. I needed that. I love you and the way you live your life. Your girls are very blessed to have you as their mother. I look up to you so much. I want to support you in this journey. Please let me know the ways I can help. It looks like you are already doing amazing things and very meaningful lessons. I have lots of resources, ideas and "stuff" that I would be more than happy to share. But, again...I think it would require a trip to Calgary...we can go through my boxes of classroom stuff together. Deal?

love, shauna

PS - she is kicking BUTT! That is an incredible list of accomplishments for KINDERGARTEN...that doesn't even all come together in grade one for many students!

PPS - who wouldn't want to homeschool if you get to wear your princess dress to class???

Unknown said...

you've got a couple of smarty pants living in that place of yours! Congrats Sophie and Penny! So proud of you!