Monday, August 2, 2010

my grandma

this is my grandma, and today she celebrates a birthday, a pretty significant birthday though i won't say which one as she would tan my hide. my grandma, like most i would guess, is truly wonderful. she is kind and loving, always smiling and gentle. she is one of the most beautiful people i have had the privilege of knowing. look at her, her smile speaks a thousand words.
she married my grandfather in july of 1947 and has chosen him every day since. they love one another, really love one another. when they leave or come home they embrace and give each other three consecutive kisses. they have done life together. i put a book together for my grandfather last year and in it i had asked both of them to recount their story, how they met, and fell in love. my grandpa said of my grandma, "Kay had that special beauty, that gorgeous smile, that turned men's heads! i have to confess i could hardly take my eyes off her." together the two of them raised two daughters who in turn each had two daughters and now also have two great granddaughters.
my grandma has this way of inviting you into her home and making you feel so welcome. she sends me home with hand knit wash clothes and a jar of apple jelly, and though the jelly is good it never really tastes the same as when you have toast at her house. she bakes the best cheese buns and makes a mean quartered sandwich. her hands and wrists are always dressed with rings and bracelets. sometimes she raises her hand to shake all the bracelets down. she points with a nod in her finger. her hands hold yours tightly and she always smells so wonderful. a few weeks ago as i was in church i leaned into a woman sitting beside me and told her she smelled so good, that she reminded me of my grandma.
i am blessed, all are blessed who know this lady. she is a treasure to behold and i love her with all my heart. i love you grandma and hope you have the most wonderful day. happy birthday.